Sunday 19 February 2012

Time flies!

And that's true! So much so, that I couldn’t write a single post in the first six weeks of this year. As you get older, the days, months, and years seem to pass more quickly!
January was fantastic mainly because of the gifts and the New Year greetings I kept receiving through the month. It felt nice to catch up with friends, old and new, exchange emails, or even speak, and be reassured that everyone’s still around, just an email or a call away. And there was this greeting, I recall, that made me sentimental- a card from a friend that came in by post. Honestly, I do not remember the last time I walked into a post office to buy an Inland letter card or a postcard or even a stamp. I do remember, however, that as a young boy, it was solely my responsibility in the family to run with the letters my parents or my siblings wrote, and drop them in the somewhat capsule-shaped, bright red coloured post boxes. And I remember how I always double-checked, rather dutifully, if the letters I deposited, freely passed through the aperture. Very rarely, I would also bump into this person who would empty the box into his khaki bag, and cycle away. I don’t see these post boxes, or these men, in my city any longer.
February was relatively unfantastic. I needed to submit my investment proofs by the first week- my last chance at saving my tax deductions. So, I snapped into action, and made a whole lot of investments. Well, I am as good with investments now, as I was with Calculus in school! I simply don’t comprehend them. I don’t comprehend the purpose of spending my earnings to get a return twenty years hence, when I am not certain about what I would be doing two years from now (it is uncertain people like these who need to invest even more, you would perhaps argue). But what if I became so rich in the next twenty years that I didn’t even require these investments? I would have wasted my entire life’s sacrifices. What a loss!

I could have bought a Beetle instead. And some mocktails on a warm afternoon like this. One that I drank last was called “To get her”- hard to believe a mocktail could have such an intriguing name!

No comments:

Post a Comment